From EatingWell: January/February 2007
A tagine is a slow-cooked Moroccan stew (traditionally served over couscous)—but here it's quicker and (dare we say it?) tastier, thanks in large part to the bright spike of kumquats.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 12 ounces kumquats, seeded (see Tip) and roughly chopped (2 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken; cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes. Stir in coriander, cumin, cinnamon, salt, pepper and cloves; cook until aromatic, about 20 seconds. Stir in broth, kumquats, chickpeas and honey. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Bake, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the broth is bubbling and somewhat reduced, about 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To seed a kumquat, cut lengthwise, then remove the few seeds with the knife tip or your finger.
Per serving: 391 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 101 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 8 g fiber; 490 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Fiber (32% dv), Selenium (27% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 2007