From EatingWell: January/February 2007
A tagine is a slow-cooked Moroccan stew (traditionally served over couscous)—but here it's quicker and (dare we say it?) tastier, thanks in large part to the bright spike of kumquats.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 12 ounces kumquats, seeded (see Tip) and roughly chopped (2 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken; cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes. Stir in coriander, cumin, cinnamon, salt, pepper and cloves; cook until aromatic, about 20 seconds. Stir in broth, kumquats, chickpeas and honey. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Bake, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the broth is bubbling and somewhat reduced, about 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To seed a kumquat, cut lengthwise, then remove the few seeds with the knife tip or your finger.
Per serving: 391 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 101 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 8 g fiber; 490 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Fiber (32% dv), Selenium (27% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 2007