Korean-Style Steak & Lettuce Wraps
These wraps should be served with lots of condiments: kimchee, for sure, but also nonfat yogurt and shredded carrots dressed with rice vinegar. Serve the various components of the dish separately and let your family or guests build their own wraps to taste.
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup diced peeled cucumber
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak for 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut across the grain into thin slices.
- Combine the sliced steak, cucumber, tomatoes, shallot, mint, basil and cilantro in a large bowl. Mix sugar, soy sauce, lime juice and crushed red pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle over the steak mixture; toss well to coat. To serve, spoon a portion of the steak mixture into a lettuce leaf and roll into a "wrap."
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The steak mixture will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
Per serving: 199 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 465 mg sodium; 542 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Make ahead instructions
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique