Korean-Style Steak & Lettuce Wraps
These wraps should be served with lots of condiments: kimchee, for sure, but also nonfat yogurt and shredded carrots dressed with rice vinegar. Serve the various components of the dish separately and let your family or guests build their own wraps to taste.
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup diced peeled cucumber
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak for 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut across the grain into thin slices.
- Combine the sliced steak, cucumber, tomatoes, shallot, mint, basil and cilantro in a large bowl. Mix sugar, soy sauce, lime juice and crushed red pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle over the steak mixture; toss well to coat. To serve, spoon a portion of the steak mixture into a lettuce leaf and roll into a "wrap."
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The steak mixture will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
Per serving: 199 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 465 mg sodium; 542 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Make ahead instructions
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation