Korean-Spiced Pork Chops & Slaw for Two
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Chili powder and garlic, both of which star in Korean cuisine, season grilled pork chops and a cool, tangy slaw in this recipe for two. If you can find Korean chili powder use it, otherwise traditional chili powder is just fine.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 radishes, cut into matchsticks
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced into 2-inch lengths
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound), trimmed
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Whisk vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon chili powder, sugar, fish sauce (or soy sauce) and cayenne (if using) in a medium bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add cabbage, radishes and scallions; toss to coat.
- Place the remaining minced garlic on a cutting board; sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder and salt. Mash into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife. Combine the paste and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil in a small bowl. Rub both sides of pork chops with the paste.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the pork chops, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve the chops with the slaw.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 303 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 356 mg sodium; 712 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (41% daily value), Vitamin C (37% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Folate & Zinc (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2012