Korean-Spiced Pork Chops & Slaw for Two
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Chili powder and garlic, both of which star in Korean cuisine, season grilled pork chops and a cool, tangy slaw in this recipe for two. If you can find Korean chili powder use it, otherwise traditional chili powder is just fine.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 radishes, cut into matchsticks
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced into 2-inch lengths
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound), trimmed
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Whisk vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon chili powder, sugar, fish sauce (or soy sauce) and cayenne (if using) in a medium bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add cabbage, radishes and scallions; toss to coat.
- Place the remaining minced garlic on a cutting board; sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder and salt. Mash into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife. Combine the paste and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil in a small bowl. Rub both sides of pork chops with the paste.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the pork chops, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve the chops with the slaw.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 303 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 356 mg sodium; 712 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (41% daily value), Vitamin C (37% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Folate & Zinc (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2012