Korean-Spiced Pork Chops & Slaw for Two
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Chili powder and garlic, both of which star in Korean cuisine, season grilled pork chops and a cool, tangy slaw in this recipe for two. If you can find Korean chili powder use it, otherwise traditional chili powder is just fine.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 radishes, cut into matchsticks
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced into 2-inch lengths
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound), trimmed
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Whisk vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon chili powder, sugar, fish sauce (or soy sauce) and cayenne (if using) in a medium bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add cabbage, radishes and scallions; toss to coat.
- Place the remaining minced garlic on a cutting board; sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder and salt. Mash into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife. Combine the paste and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil in a small bowl. Rub both sides of pork chops with the paste.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the pork chops, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve the chops with the slaw.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 303 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 356 mg sodium; 712 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (41% daily value), Vitamin C (37% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Folate & Zinc (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2012