Korean-Spiced Pork Chops & Slaw for Two
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Chili powder and garlic, both of which star in Korean cuisine, season grilled pork chops and a cool, tangy slaw in this recipe for two. If you can find Korean chili powder use it, otherwise traditional chili powder is just fine.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 radishes, cut into matchsticks
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced into 2-inch lengths
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound), trimmed
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Whisk vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon chili powder, sugar, fish sauce (or soy sauce) and cayenne (if using) in a medium bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Add cabbage, radishes and scallions; toss to coat.
- Place the remaining minced garlic on a cutting board; sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder and salt. Mash into a paste with the side of a chef’s knife. Combine the paste and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil in a small bowl. Rub both sides of pork chops with the paste.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the pork chops, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve the chops with the slaw.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 303 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 356 mg sodium; 712 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (41% daily value), Vitamin C (37% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Folate & Zinc (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2012