Key Lime Ice
From EatingWell: Summer 2002
This frozen treat features the sweet-tart flavor of a Key lime pie--but with a fraction of the calories. It's festive scooped into hollowed-out lime or lemon halves; freeze until ready to serve.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 1/3 cup bottled Key-lime juice, or fresh lime juice
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- Combine sugar, lime zest and lime juice in a heatproof bowl. Add boiling water and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour or overnight.
- Add yogurt to the lime mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. (Alternatively, freeze mixture in a shallow metal pan until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth.)
- Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and let harden in the freezer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve in chilled dishes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and freeze for up to 2 days. Let soften in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour before serving.
Per serving: 117 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 19 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Summer 2002