Key Lime Ice
From EatingWell: Summer 2002
This frozen treat features the sweet-tart flavor of a Key lime pie--but with a fraction of the calories. It's festive scooped into hollowed-out lime or lemon halves; freeze until ready to serve.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 1/3 cup bottled Key-lime juice, or fresh lime juice
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- Combine sugar, lime zest and lime juice in a heatproof bowl. Add boiling water and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour or overnight.
- Add yogurt to the lime mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. (Alternatively, freeze mixture in a shallow metal pan until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth.)
- Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and let harden in the freezer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve in chilled dishes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and freeze for up to 2 days. Let soften in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour before serving.
Per serving: 117 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 19 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Summer 2002
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)