From EatingWell: September/October 2008
Kefta, seasoned ground meat, is one of Morocco's most popular street foods. Traditionally, kefta is washed down with a glass of sweet mint tea. It's delicious served with ratatouille.
- 8 ounces ground beef, 90%-lean or leaner
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 8 pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Harissa, (see Ingredient Note) for serving
- Place beef, lamb and lemon juice in a large bowl. Gently combine until incorporated. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Transfer the meat to a colander and press to squeeze out excess moisture. Place onion, garlic and olives in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add to the marinated meat along with oil, cilantro, parsley, 1 tablespoon cumin, salt and pepper. Gently combine until evenly incorporated.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack on it.
- Using about 3 tablespoons of the meat mixture for each, form 12 thin patties, about 2 1/2 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. Place on the wire rack.
- Broil the patties until brown and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with additional cumin and harissa, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Harissa is a fiery Tunisian chile paste commonly used in North African cooking. Find it at specialty-food stores, mustaphas.com or amazon.com. Harissa in a tube will be much hotter than that in a jar. You can substitute Chinese or Thai chile-garlic sauce for it.
Per serving: 354 calories; 25 g fat (7 g sat, 14 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 1 g fiber; 607 mg sodium; 385 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (33% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 2008