From EatingWell: September/October 2008
Kefta, seasoned ground meat, is one of Morocco's most popular street foods. Traditionally, kefta is washed down with a glass of sweet mint tea. It's delicious served with ratatouille.
- 8 ounces ground beef, 90%-lean or leaner
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 8 pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Harissa, (see Ingredient Note) for serving
- Place beef, lamb and lemon juice in a large bowl. Gently combine until incorporated. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Transfer the meat to a colander and press to squeeze out excess moisture. Place onion, garlic and olives in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add to the marinated meat along with oil, cilantro, parsley, 1 tablespoon cumin, salt and pepper. Gently combine until evenly incorporated.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack on it.
- Using about 3 tablespoons of the meat mixture for each, form 12 thin patties, about 2 1/2 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. Place on the wire rack.
- Broil the patties until brown and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with additional cumin and harissa, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Harissa is a fiery Tunisian chile paste commonly used in North African cooking. Find it at specialty-food stores, mustaphas.com or amazon.com. Harissa in a tube will be much hotter than that in a jar. You can substitute Chinese or Thai chile-garlic sauce for it.
Per serving: 354 calories; 25 g fat (7 g sat, 14 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 1 g fiber; 607 mg sodium; 385 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (33% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2008