Kasha & Orzo Pilaf
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Earthy kasha pairs up with orzo in this quick and tasty pilaf.
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup kasha, preferably whole granulation
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots, (2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add orzo and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan over low heat. Toast kasha in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly stir in the hot broth. Add carrots, butter, thyme, pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until the kasha is tender and all the broth has been absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the reserved orzo, parsley and scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day in advance. Reheat in a shallow, lightly oiled, covered 2-quart baking dish at 400°F for 20 minutes.
Per serving: 262 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 254 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (79% daily value), Magnesium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1994