Kasha & Orzo Pilaf
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Earthy kasha pairs up with orzo in this quick and tasty pilaf.
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup kasha, preferably whole granulation
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots, (2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add orzo and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan over low heat. Toast kasha in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly stir in the hot broth. Add carrots, butter, thyme, pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until the kasha is tender and all the broth has been absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the reserved orzo, parsley and scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day in advance. Reheat in a shallow, lightly oiled, covered 2-quart baking dish at 400°F for 20 minutes.
Per serving: 262 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 254 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (79% daily value), Magnesium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1994