Kasha & Orzo Pilaf
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Earthy kasha pairs up with orzo in this quick and tasty pilaf.
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup kasha, preferably whole granulation
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots, (2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add orzo and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan over low heat. Toast kasha in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly stir in the hot broth. Add carrots, butter, thyme, pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until the kasha is tender and all the broth has been absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the reserved orzo, parsley and scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day in advance. Reheat in a shallow, lightly oiled, covered 2-quart baking dish at 400°F for 20 minutes.
Per serving: 262 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 254 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (79% daily value), Magnesium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1994