Kasha & Orzo Pilaf
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Earthy kasha pairs up with orzo in this quick and tasty pilaf.
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup kasha, preferably whole granulation
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots, (2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add orzo and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan over low heat. Toast kasha in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly stir in the hot broth. Add carrots, butter, thyme, pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until the kasha is tender and all the broth has been absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the reserved orzo, parsley and scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day in advance. Reheat in a shallow, lightly oiled, covered 2-quart baking dish at 400°F for 20 minutes.
Per serving: 262 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 254 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (79% daily value), Magnesium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1994