Kasha & Orzo Pilaf
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Earthy kasha pairs up with orzo in this quick and tasty pilaf.
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup kasha, preferably whole granulation
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots, (2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add orzo and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan over low heat. Toast kasha in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly stir in the hot broth. Add carrots, butter, thyme, pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until the kasha is tender and all the broth has been absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the reserved orzo, parsley and scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day in advance. Reheat in a shallow, lightly oiled, covered 2-quart baking dish at 400°F for 20 minutes.
Per serving: 262 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 254 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (79% daily value), Magnesium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1994