Kale with Apples & Mustard
Tart apples, grainy mustard, cider vinegar and a touch of brown sugar add sweet-and-sour flavor to sauteed kale.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1 1/2 pounds pounds kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 Granny Smith apples, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add kale and cook, tossing with two large spoons, until bright green, about 1 minute. Add water, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in apples; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, mustard, brown sugar and salt in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the kale, increase heat to high and boil, uncovered, until most of the liquid evaporates, 3 to 4 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: A 1- to 1 1/2-pound bunch of kale yields 16 to 24 cups of chopped leaves. When preparing kale for this recipe, remove the tough ribs, chop or tear the kale as directed, then wash it—allowing some water to cling to the leaves. The moisture helps steam the kale during the first stages of cooking.
Per serving: 107 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 134 mg sodium; 399 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (170% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation