Kale with Apples & Mustard
Tart apples, grainy mustard, cider vinegar and a touch of brown sugar add sweet-and-sour flavor to sauteed kale.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1 1/2 pounds pounds kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 Granny Smith apples, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add kale and cook, tossing with two large spoons, until bright green, about 1 minute. Add water, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in apples; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, mustard, brown sugar and salt in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the kale, increase heat to high and boil, uncovered, until most of the liquid evaporates, 3 to 4 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: A 1- to 1 1/2-pound bunch of kale yields 16 to 24 cups of chopped leaves. When preparing kale for this recipe, remove the tough ribs, chop or tear the kale as directed, then wash it—allowing some water to cling to the leaves. The moisture helps steam the kale during the first stages of cooking.
Per serving: 107 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 134 mg sodium; 399 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (170% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable