Kale with Apples & Mustard
Tart apples, grainy mustard, cider vinegar and a touch of brown sugar add sweet-and-sour flavor to sauteed kale.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1 1/2 pounds pounds kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 Granny Smith apples, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add kale and cook, tossing with two large spoons, until bright green, about 1 minute. Add water, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in apples; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, mustard, brown sugar and salt in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the kale, increase heat to high and boil, uncovered, until most of the liquid evaporates, 3 to 4 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: A 1- to 1 1/2-pound bunch of kale yields 16 to 24 cups of chopped leaves. When preparing kale for this recipe, remove the tough ribs, chop or tear the kale as directed, then wash it—allowing some water to cling to the leaves. The moisture helps steam the kale during the first stages of cooking.
Per serving: 107 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 134 mg sodium; 399 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (170% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique