Kale, Sausage & Lentil Skillet Supper
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Cooking the lentils in red wine adds rich, earthy flavor to this one-dish skillet supper. We prefer French green lentils in this dish—they're smaller, cook faster and hold their shape better than brown lentils. Look for them in well-stocked supermarkets or natural-foods stores.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 12-ounce package cooked chicken sausage
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- Pinch of crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 cup lentils, preferably French green
- 12 cups chopped kale leaves, tough stems removed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausages and cook until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Transfer to a clean cutting board.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and onion to the pan and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add water and wine, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add lentils, reduce heat to maintain a simmer, and cook, partially covered, for 40 minutes.
- Add kale, sage and salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and kale are tender, about 10 minutes more. Slice the sausage and stir into the pan along with pepper. Cover and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 500 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 16 g fiber; 665 mg sodium; 1597 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (620% daily value), Vitamin C (410% dv), Folate (79% dv), Potassium (46% dv), Magnesium (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 2008