Kale, Sausage & Lentil Skillet Supper
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Cooking the lentils in red wine adds rich, earthy flavor to this one-dish skillet supper. We prefer French green lentils in this dish—they're smaller, cook faster and hold their shape better than brown lentils. Look for them in well-stocked supermarkets or natural-foods stores.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 12-ounce package cooked chicken sausage
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- Pinch of crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 cup lentils, preferably French green
- 12 cups chopped kale leaves, tough stems removed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausages and cook until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Transfer to a clean cutting board.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and onion to the pan and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add water and wine, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add lentils, reduce heat to maintain a simmer, and cook, partially covered, for 40 minutes.
- Add kale, sage and salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and kale are tender, about 10 minutes more. Slice the sausage and stir into the pan along with pepper. Cover and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 500 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 16 g fiber; 665 mg sodium; 1597 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (620% daily value), Vitamin C (410% dv), Folate (79% dv), Potassium (46% dv), Magnesium (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2008