Kale, Sausage & Lentil Skillet Supper
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Cooking the lentils in red wine adds rich, earthy flavor to this one-dish skillet supper. We prefer French green lentils in this dish—they're smaller, cook faster and hold their shape better than brown lentils. Look for them in well-stocked supermarkets or natural-foods stores.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 12-ounce package cooked chicken sausage
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- Pinch of crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 cup lentils, preferably French green
- 12 cups chopped kale leaves, tough stems removed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausages and cook until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Transfer to a clean cutting board.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and onion to the pan and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add water and wine, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add lentils, reduce heat to maintain a simmer, and cook, partially covered, for 40 minutes.
- Add kale, sage and salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and kale are tender, about 10 minutes more. Slice the sausage and stir into the pan along with pepper. Cover and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 500 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 16 g fiber; 665 mg sodium; 1597 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (620% daily value), Vitamin C (410% dv), Folate (79% dv), Potassium (46% dv), Magnesium (34% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 2008