Kale Salad with Preserved Lemon & Walnuts
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this kale salad recipe, we massage dressing into the kale leaves until they’re tender and coated with flavor. Topped with bold Mediterranean flavors—olives, walnuts and preserved lemons—this healthy salad is as delicious as it is nutritious. Look for preserved lemons at specialty-foods shops or online at surlatable.com. Or, to make your own, see the recipe on eatingwell.com.
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 10 cups thinly sliced kale (from 1 large bunch)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts (see Tips)
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, quartered
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped rinsed preserved lemon rind (see Tips) or rinsed capers
You Might Also Like
- Mash garlic and salt together on a cutting board with the side of a chef’s knife (or in a bowl with a spoon) to form a paste. Transfer to a large bowl. Whisk in oil, lemon juice, oregano and pepper to combine. Add kale to the bowl. With clean hands, massage the kale until it’s well coated with the dressing and reduced in volume, about 1 minute. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with walnuts, olives and preserved lemon (or capers).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Hold at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- To toast chopped nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Preserved lemons are lemons that have been soaked in a salt-lemon mixture for at least 30 days. Their salty sourness is a signature flavor in Moroccan dishes. Find them at specialty-food stores or online at mustaphas.com. To make your own: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/preserved_lemons.html
Per serving: 166 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 253 mg sodium; 420 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (258% daily value), Vitamin C (173% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013