Kale Salad with Bacon-Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Hot roasted potatoes in this healthy kale salad recipe wilt the kale just enough to make it tender. Bacon and blue cheese layer on smoky, salty flavors to stand up to the flavor of the kale. Go for a strong blue cheese—we enjoy the tanginess of Maytag. Serve this salad with steak or chicken.
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 6 cups kale, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 pieces center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 Belgian endives, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup currants or sweetened dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss potatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread out on a large baking sheet (reserve the bowl). Roast the potatoes, stirring once or twice, until tender and browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place kale in the large bowl, add the hot potatoes and let stand for several minutes, tossing occasionally, until the potatoes are warm but not hot.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, blue cheese, shallot, mustard, parsley and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the warm salad. Add bacon, endive and currants (or cranberries); toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 218 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 390 mg sodium; 886 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (151% daily value), Vitamin A (150% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Folate (21% dv), Calcium (16% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- January/February 2014