Kale Salad with Bacon-Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Hot roasted potatoes in this healthy kale salad recipe wilt the kale just enough to make it tender. Bacon and blue cheese layer on smoky, salty flavors to stand up to the flavor of the kale. Go for a strong blue cheese—we enjoy the tanginess of Maytag. Serve this salad with steak or chicken.
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 6 cups kale, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 pieces center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 Belgian endives, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup currants or sweetened dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss potatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread out on a large baking sheet (reserve the bowl). Roast the potatoes, stirring once or twice, until tender and browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place kale in the large bowl, add the hot potatoes and let stand for several minutes, tossing occasionally, until the potatoes are warm but not hot.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, blue cheese, shallot, mustard, parsley and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the warm salad. Add bacon, endive and currants (or cranberries); toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 218 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 390 mg sodium; 886 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (151% daily value), Vitamin A (150% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Folate (21% dv), Calcium (16% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- January/February 2014