Kale Salad with Bacon-Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Hot roasted potatoes in this healthy kale salad recipe wilt the kale just enough to make it tender. Bacon and blue cheese layer on smoky, salty flavors to stand up to the flavor of the kale. Go for a strong blue cheese—we enjoy the tanginess of Maytag. Serve this salad with steak or chicken.
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 6 cups kale, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 pieces center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 Belgian endives, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup currants or sweetened dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss potatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread out on a large baking sheet (reserve the bowl). Roast the potatoes, stirring once or twice, until tender and browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place kale in the large bowl, add the hot potatoes and let stand for several minutes, tossing occasionally, until the potatoes are warm but not hot.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, blue cheese, shallot, mustard, parsley and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the warm salad. Add bacon, endive and currants (or cranberries); toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 218 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 390 mg sodium; 886 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (151% daily value), Vitamin A (150% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Folate (21% dv), Calcium (16% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2014