Really liked this idea and the final product, but I did make some changes. I used red onion rather than white and sliced shiitake mushrooms, and I wilted my kale just a bit. I did not use bacon to make it vegetarian, and still very flavorful.
Hearty Kale Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
A riff on the classic warm spinach-and-bacon salad, this recipe features thin ribbons of kale instead. Any variety of kale works, but flatter-leaf lacinato kale makes it extra-special.
3 Reviews for Hearty Kale Salad
This salad is GREAT, and even better with a few modifications. Instead of just combining the veggies with your raw kale, first massage your kale with a bit of olive oil, fresh lemon juice, and sea salt. Let it sit while you prepare the veggies.
I used a red onion instead of white because it was what I had on hand. I also used diced pancetta instead of bacon because I prefer the flavor of pancetta. Used baby portabello mushrooms, too. Combine the warm veggies + dressing straight from the pan with the kale and cover the bowl with a cookie sheet. This will allow the kale to wilt a bit more.
I liked the dressing with the mushrooms and bacon in this salad, and would make it again for myself, but my husband wasn't crazy about it. He said that the kale had no taste, which I guess it kind of doesn't raw. But it's frilliness is fun, and with the red-wine-vinegar-based dressing, I thought it was nice. You might have to like kale to like this salad though.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)