Hearty Kale Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
A riff on the classic warm spinach-and-bacon salad, this recipe features thin ribbons of kale instead. Any variety of kale works, but flatter-leaf lacinato kale makes it extra-special.
- 6 cups very thinly sliced kale (about 1/2 large bunch), tough stems removed (see Note)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip), coarsely chopped
- 2 slices center-cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place kale and eggs in a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Leaving the bacon fat in the pan, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Chop when cool enough to handle.
- Add oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in vinegar, mustard, pepper and salt. Pour the mushroom mixture over the kale and eggs. Add the bacon and toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Choose organic kale when possible. Nonorganic can have high pesticide residue.
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Per serving: 182 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 97 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 623 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (312% daily value), Vitamin C (205% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2011