Hearty Kale Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
A riff on the classic warm spinach-and-bacon salad, this recipe features thin ribbons of kale instead. Any variety of kale works, but flatter-leaf lacinato kale makes it extra-special.
- 6 cups very thinly sliced kale (about 1/2 large bunch), tough stems removed (see Note)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip), coarsely chopped
- 2 slices center-cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place kale and eggs in a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Leaving the bacon fat in the pan, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Chop when cool enough to handle.
- Add oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in vinegar, mustard, pepper and salt. Pour the mushroom mixture over the kale and eggs. Add the bacon and toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Choose organic kale when possible. Nonorganic can have high pesticide residue.
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Per serving: 182 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 97 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 623 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (312% daily value), Vitamin C (205% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2011
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)