Kale & Gruyère Panini
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
This vegetarian panini recipe—filled with layers of sautéed kale, garden-fresh tomatoes and melted cheese—makes for an extra-special grilled cheese sandwich. For the best flavor, we like the complexity of aged Gruyère or fontina, but you can use any cheese you have on hand.Add to lose it
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices country bread (1/4 inch thick), preferably whole-wheat
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère or fontina cheese
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 8 thin slices
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add vinegar and cook until almost evaporated, about 1 minute. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add kale, water and salt (the pan will be full). Stir, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is wilted and the water has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To prepare panini: Preheat panini maker to high. Coat one side of each slice of bread with cooking spray. With the sprayed side down, spread the kale mixture on 4 slices of bread (about 1/2 cup per sandwich). Top each with 1/4 cup cheese and 2 slices tomato. Top with the remaining bread, sprayed-side up. Press in the panini maker until crispy, 3 to 5 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare filling up to 2 days ahead; refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make panini on the stovetop, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 sandwiches in the pan. Place a medium skillet on top and add four 15-ounce cans to weight it down. Cook the sandwiches, turning once, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
Per serving: 407 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 8 g total sugars; 23 g protein; 8 g fiber; 537 mg sodium; 942 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A & C (278% daily value), Calcium (55% dv), Magnesium (32% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Folate (25% dv), Iron (21% dv), Zinc (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 high fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2014