Jimmo's Chicken & Okra
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Comfort food with a Southern accent, this dish was inspired by our friend, Jimmo, who ate it growing up in South Carolina. Serve over brown rice or Quick Cheese Grits.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 cup frozen chopped okra
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and corn and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned and softened, about 4 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and okra. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add pepper and salt.
Per serving: 362 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 6 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 540 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Iron & Zinc (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two