Jimmo's Chicken & Okra
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Comfort food with a Southern accent, this dish was inspired by our friend, Jimmo, who ate it growing up in South Carolina. Serve over brown rice or Quick Cheese Grits.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 cup frozen chopped okra
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and corn and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned and softened, about 4 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and okra. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add pepper and salt.
Per serving: 362 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 6 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 540 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Iron & Zinc (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two