Jimmo's Chicken & Okra
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Comfort food with a Southern accent, this dish was inspired by our friend, Jimmo, who ate it growing up in South Carolina. Serve over brown rice or Quick Cheese Grits.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 cup frozen chopped okra
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and corn and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned and softened, about 4 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and okra. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add pepper and salt.
Per serving: 362 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 6 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 540 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Iron & Zinc (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two