Jícama & Cucumber Salad with Red Chile Dressing
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
This salad combines cucumber and jícama with a sweet-sour, slightly spicy vinaigrette and makes a great start to any Mexican-inspired meal.
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild-flavored honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons mild-to-medium-hot New Mexican red chile powder, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced peeled jícama (about 1/2 medium; see Note)
- 1 medium English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Puree vinegar, honey, oil, onion, chile powder to taste and salt in a blender until smooth.
- Toss jícama and cucumber with the dressing in a large bowl; stir in mint. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the salad with more chile powder before serving, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Jicama is a round root vegetable with thin brown skin and white crunchy flesh. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor. To peel it, use a small, sharp knife or vegetable peeler, making sure to remove both the papery brown skin and the layer of fibrous flesh just underneath.
Per serving: 63 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 105 mg sodium; 157 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2010