Jícama & Cucumber Salad with Red Chile Dressing
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
This salad combines cucumber and jícama with a sweet-sour, slightly spicy vinaigrette and makes a great start to any Mexican-inspired meal.
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild-flavored honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons mild-to-medium-hot New Mexican red chile powder, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced peeled jícama (about 1/2 medium; see Note)
- 1 medium English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Puree vinegar, honey, oil, onion, chile powder to taste and salt in a blender until smooth.
- Toss jícama and cucumber with the dressing in a large bowl; stir in mint. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the salad with more chile powder before serving, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Jicama is a round root vegetable with thin brown skin and white crunchy flesh. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor. To peel it, use a small, sharp knife or vegetable peeler, making sure to remove both the papery brown skin and the layer of fibrous flesh just underneath.
Per serving: 63 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 105 mg sodium; 157 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- September/October 2010