Jícama & Cucumber Salad with Red Chile Dressing
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
This salad combines cucumber and jícama with a sweet-sour, slightly spicy vinaigrette and makes a great start to any Mexican-inspired meal.
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild-flavored honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons mild-to-medium-hot New Mexican red chile powder, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced peeled jícama (about 1/2 medium; see Note)
- 1 medium English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Puree vinegar, honey, oil, onion, chile powder to taste and salt in a blender until smooth.
- Toss jícama and cucumber with the dressing in a large bowl; stir in mint. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the salad with more chile powder before serving, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Jicama is a round root vegetable with thin brown skin and white crunchy flesh. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor. To peel it, use a small, sharp knife or vegetable peeler, making sure to remove both the papery brown skin and the layer of fibrous flesh just underneath.
Per serving: 63 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 105 mg sodium; 157 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2010