Jícama & Cucumber Salad with Red Chile Dressing
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
This salad combines cucumber and jícama with a sweet-sour, slightly spicy vinaigrette and makes a great start to any Mexican-inspired meal.
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild-flavored honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons mild-to-medium-hot New Mexican red chile powder, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced peeled jícama (about 1/2 medium; see Note)
- 1 medium English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Puree vinegar, honey, oil, onion, chile powder to taste and salt in a blender until smooth.
- Toss jícama and cucumber with the dressing in a large bowl; stir in mint. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the salad with more chile powder before serving, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Jicama is a round root vegetable with thin brown skin and white crunchy flesh. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor. To peel it, use a small, sharp knife or vegetable peeler, making sure to remove both the papery brown skin and the layer of fibrous flesh just underneath.
Per serving: 63 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 105 mg sodium; 157 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- September/October 2010