Jícama & Cucumber Salad with Red Chile Dressing
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
This salad combines cucumber and jícama with a sweet-sour, slightly spicy vinaigrette and makes a great start to any Mexican-inspired meal.
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild-flavored honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons mild-to-medium-hot New Mexican red chile powder, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced peeled jícama (about 1/2 medium; see Note)
- 1 medium English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Puree vinegar, honey, oil, onion, chile powder to taste and salt in a blender until smooth.
- Toss jícama and cucumber with the dressing in a large bowl; stir in mint. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the salad with more chile powder before serving, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Jicama is a round root vegetable with thin brown skin and white crunchy flesh. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor. To peel it, use a small, sharp knife or vegetable peeler, making sure to remove both the papery brown skin and the layer of fibrous flesh just underneath.
Per serving: 63 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 105 mg sodium; 157 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 2010
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)