From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Grated jicama, carrots and Granny Smith apples tossed with a tangy cider vinaigrette is a tasty side dish for summer barbecues. Make it a meal: Serve alongside Sweet-&-Sour Chicken Drumsticks.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups grated jÃcama
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup grated Granny Smith apple
- Heat a dry, heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Add garlic, and roast, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in spots and soft, about 10 minutes. Peel, removing tough ends.
- Combine the roasted garlic, apple cider, oil, vinegar and mustard in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine j&iacute;cama, carrots and apple in a salad bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 109 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 5 g fiber; 128 mg sodium; 232 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (93% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1994