From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Grated jicama, carrots and Granny Smith apples tossed with a tangy cider vinaigrette is a tasty side dish for summer barbecues. Make it a meal: Serve alongside Sweet-&-Sour Chicken Drumsticks.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups grated jÃcama
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup grated Granny Smith apple
- Heat a dry, heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Add garlic, and roast, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in spots and soft, about 10 minutes. Peel, removing tough ends.
- Combine the roasted garlic, apple cider, oil, vinegar and mustard in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine j&iacute;cama, carrots and apple in a salad bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 109 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 5 g fiber; 128 mg sodium; 232 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (93% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1994