From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Grated jicama, carrots and Granny Smith apples tossed with a tangy cider vinaigrette is a tasty side dish for summer barbecues. Make it a meal: Serve alongside Sweet-&-Sour Chicken Drumsticks.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups grated jÃcama
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup grated Granny Smith apple
- Heat a dry, heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Add garlic, and roast, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in spots and soft, about 10 minutes. Peel, removing tough ends.
- Combine the roasted garlic, apple cider, oil, vinegar and mustard in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine j&iacute;cama, carrots and apple in a salad bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 109 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 5 g fiber; 128 mg sodium; 232 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (93% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1994