From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Grated jicama, carrots and Granny Smith apples tossed with a tangy cider vinaigrette is a tasty side dish for summer barbecues. Make it a meal: Serve alongside Sweet-&-Sour Chicken Drumsticks.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups grated jÃcama
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup grated Granny Smith apple
- Heat a dry, heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Add garlic, and roast, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in spots and soft, about 10 minutes. Peel, removing tough ends.
- Combine the roasted garlic, apple cider, oil, vinegar and mustard in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine j&iacute;cama, carrots and apple in a salad bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 109 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 5 g fiber; 128 mg sodium; 232 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (93% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1994