"Jerk" Turkey Burgers
From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Jamaican “jerk” seasonings transform a humble ground turkey patty into a lively summer burger.
- 1/3 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper, (1/2 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns or English muffins, split and toasted
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Combine couscous and water in a small bowl; let stand for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the couscous is tender and the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over low heat. Add bell pepper, garlic, thyme, curry powder, cumin, allspice, ginger, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until the bell pepper is slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool.
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler.
- Combine turkey, the couscous and the bell-pepper mixture in a medium-sized bowl; mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. If using the grill, oil the grill rack (see Tip) or oil the broiler pan. Grill or broil the patties until browned and no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes per side. Place on buns (or English muffins) and garnish with tomato slices and lettuce leaves.
Tips & Notes
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 338 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 7 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 258 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 1993