"Jerk" Turkey Burgers
From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Jamaican “jerk” seasonings transform a humble ground turkey patty into a lively summer burger.
- 1/3 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper, (1/2 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns or English muffins, split and toasted
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Combine couscous and water in a small bowl; let stand for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the couscous is tender and the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over low heat. Add bell pepper, garlic, thyme, curry powder, cumin, allspice, ginger, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until the bell pepper is slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool.
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler.
- Combine turkey, the couscous and the bell-pepper mixture in a medium-sized bowl; mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. If using the grill, oil the grill rack (see Tip) or oil the broiler pan. Grill or broil the patties until browned and no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes per side. Place on buns (or English muffins) and garnish with tomato slices and lettuce leaves.
Tips & Notes
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 338 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 7 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 258 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1993