"Jerk" Turkey Burgers
From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Jamaican “jerk” seasonings transform a humble ground turkey patty into a lively summer burger.
- 1/3 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper, (1/2 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns or English muffins, split and toasted
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Combine couscous and water in a small bowl; let stand for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the couscous is tender and the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over low heat. Add bell pepper, garlic, thyme, curry powder, cumin, allspice, ginger, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until the bell pepper is slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool.
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler.
- Combine turkey, the couscous and the bell-pepper mixture in a medium-sized bowl; mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. If using the grill, oil the grill rack (see Tip) or oil the broiler pan. Grill or broil the patties until browned and no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes per side. Place on buns (or English muffins) and garnish with tomato slices and lettuce leaves.
Tips & Notes
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 338 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 7 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 258 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 1993