"Jerk" Turkey Burgers
From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Jamaican “jerk” seasonings transform a humble ground turkey patty into a lively summer burger.
- 1/3 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper, (1/2 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns or English muffins, split and toasted
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Combine couscous and water in a small bowl; let stand for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the couscous is tender and the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over low heat. Add bell pepper, garlic, thyme, curry powder, cumin, allspice, ginger, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until the bell pepper is slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool.
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler.
- Combine turkey, the couscous and the bell-pepper mixture in a medium-sized bowl; mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. If using the grill, oil the grill rack (see Tip) or oil the broiler pan. Grill or broil the patties until browned and no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes per side. Place on buns (or English muffins) and garnish with tomato slices and lettuce leaves.
Tips & Notes
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 338 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 7 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 258 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 1993