"Jerk" Turkey Burgers
From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Jamaican “jerk” seasonings transform a humble ground turkey patty into a lively summer burger.
- 1/3 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper, (1/2 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns or English muffins, split and toasted
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Combine couscous and water in a small bowl; let stand for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the couscous is tender and the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over low heat. Add bell pepper, garlic, thyme, curry powder, cumin, allspice, ginger, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until the bell pepper is slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool.
- Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler.
- Combine turkey, the couscous and the bell-pepper mixture in a medium-sized bowl; mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. If using the grill, oil the grill rack (see Tip) or oil the broiler pan. Grill or broil the patties until browned and no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes per side. Place on buns (or English muffins) and garnish with tomato slices and lettuce leaves.
Tips & Notes
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 338 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 7 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 258 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 1993
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)