Jerk Paste Marinade
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This jerk paste recipe gets heat from a Scotch bonnet pepper, sweetness from a little brown sugar, acid from lime juice and cider vinegar and classic jerk flavors from three spices. Perfect for chicken, pork or shrimp, serve with rice or in tacos. For the best flavor, marinate meat (or shrimp) for about 1 hour before cooking.
- 4 scallion greens, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, seeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Puree scallion greens, onion, Scotch bonnet (or habanero), garlic, brown sugar, lime juice, vinegar, oil, allspice, thyme, salt, cinnamon and pepper in a blender until smooth.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition note: Based on Test Kitchen results, 1 Tbsp. of paste is absorbed per serving.
Per serving: 24 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014