Jerk Paste Marinade
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This jerk paste recipe gets heat from a Scotch bonnet pepper, sweetness from a little brown sugar, acid from lime juice and cider vinegar and classic jerk flavors from three spices. Perfect for chicken, pork or shrimp, serve with rice or in tacos. For the best flavor, marinate meat (or shrimp) for about 1 hour before cooking.
- 4 scallion greens, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, seeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Puree scallion greens, onion, Scotch bonnet (or habanero), garlic, brown sugar, lime juice, vinegar, oil, allspice, thyme, salt, cinnamon and pepper in a blender until smooth.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition note: Based on Test Kitchen results, 1 Tbsp. of paste is absorbed per serving.
Per serving: 24 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014