Jerk Paste Marinade
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This jerk paste recipe gets heat from a Scotch bonnet pepper, sweetness from a little brown sugar, acid from lime juice and cider vinegar and classic jerk flavors from three spices. Perfect for chicken, pork or shrimp, serve with rice or in tacos. For the best flavor, marinate meat (or shrimp) for about 1 hour before cooking.
- 4 scallion greens, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, seeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Puree scallion greens, onion, Scotch bonnet (or habanero), garlic, brown sugar, lime juice, vinegar, oil, allspice, thyme, salt, cinnamon and pepper in a blender until smooth.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition note: Based on Test Kitchen results, 1 Tbsp. of paste is absorbed per serving.
Per serving: 24 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- July/August 2014