Jerk Paste Marinade
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This jerk paste recipe gets heat from a Scotch bonnet pepper, sweetness from a little brown sugar, acid from lime juice and cider vinegar and classic jerk flavors from three spices. Perfect for chicken, pork or shrimp, serve with rice or in tacos. For the best flavor, marinate meat (or shrimp) for about 1 hour before cooking.
- 4 scallion greens, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, seeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Puree scallion greens, onion, Scotch bonnet (or habanero), garlic, brown sugar, lime juice, vinegar, oil, allspice, thyme, salt, cinnamon and pepper in a blender until smooth.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition note: Based on Test Kitchen results, 1 Tbsp. of paste is absorbed per serving.
Per serving: 24 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- Ease of Preparation
- Entertaining, casual
- July/August 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)