Jerk Paste Marinade
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This jerk paste recipe gets heat from a Scotch bonnet pepper, sweetness from a little brown sugar, acid from lime juice and cider vinegar and classic jerk flavors from three spices. Perfect for chicken, pork or shrimp, serve with rice or in tacos. For the best flavor, marinate meat (or shrimp) for about 1 hour before cooking.
- 4 scallion greens, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, seeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Puree scallion greens, onion, Scotch bonnet (or habanero), garlic, brown sugar, lime juice, vinegar, oil, allspice, thyme, salt, cinnamon and pepper in a blender until smooth.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition note: Based on Test Kitchen results, 1 Tbsp. of paste is absorbed per serving.
Per serving: 24 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014