Jerk Chicken Pockets
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
These tasty sweet potato and jerk chicken “pockets” are spiced up with jerk seasoning, a Caribbean spice blend that typically contains allspice, thyme and hot pepper. The spice combo and heat level vary widely among brands. Experiment and find the one you prefer. Look for jerk seasoning in the spice section of most supermarkets.
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 12 ounces)
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning
- 8 ounces cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced (about 2 cups, see Tip)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Prick sweet potato in several places with a fork. Wrap it in wax paper or parchment paper and microwave on High until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Cut in half. When it is just cool enough to handle, peel and dice.
- Meanwhile, shape the dough on a lightly floured surface into a log about 10 inches long. Divide into 5 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 5-inch square with a rolling pin or press into a square with your hands.
- Whisk mayonnaise, jalapeño, water and jerk seasoning in a medium bowl. Stir in chicken, scallions, raisins and the sweet potato.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture on half of each dough square, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Fold the dough over the filling and pat it to create a rectangle, then use a fork to crimp the edges closed. Transfer the chicken pockets to the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with oil.
- Bake the pockets until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the filling (Steps 2 & 4) for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature while you roll out the dough.
- Tip: If you don’t have leftover chicken, you can quickly cook chicken by poaching it. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 20 minutes, depending on size. (1 pound raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts = about 2 1/2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken.)
Per serving: 358 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 3 g fiber; 547 mg sodium; 302 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)