Japanese-Inspired Beef & Noodle Salad
Sirloin steak, soba noodles (Japanese buckwheat noodles) and shredded carrots make this healthy, sesame-soy steak salad recipe a sophisticated, easy dinner any night of the week.
Sesame Soy Dressing
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed green tea or black tea
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
Beef & Noodle Salad
- 3 tablespoons mirin (see Tips)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 12-ounce sirloin steak, trimmed
- 4 ounces soba noodles (see Tips)
- 1 cup finely shredded or julienned carrot (1 large)
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted (see Tips)
- To prepare the dressing: Whisk soy sauce, tea, rice vinegar, canola oil and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- To prepare the salad: Whisk mirin and ginger in a small bowl. Place steak in a shallow baking dish or pie pan. Pour mirin mixture over the steak; turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or for up to 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for cooking noodles.
- Cook noodles in the boiling water until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain; rinse under cold water. Transfer noodles to a large bowl. Add carrot and 1/3 cup Sesame-Soy Dressing; toss to coat.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Lightly oil the grill rack by rubbing it with an oil-soaked paper towel (use tongs to hold the paper towel). Grill the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until it reaches desired doneness. (Alternatively, brush a little canola oil over a large skillet or ridged grill pan, preferably cast-iron, and heat over high heat. Add the steak and cook for 4 to 6 minutes per side.) Transfer the steak to a cutting board. Let rest for 5 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain.
- Build the salad on 4 plates starting with about 1 cup mixed greens, one-fourth of the noodle mixture, then one-fourth of the steak slices. Whisk remaining dressing again to combine, then drizzle about 4 teaspoons over each salad. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days. Prepare Steps 2-4, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- Rice vinegar is a mild vinegar made from glutinous rice; bottlings range from clear to aged (very dark). Clear rice vinegar works best in this recipe. Substitute cider vinegar in a pinch.
- Mirin is a sweetened rice wine, made from glutinous rice, found in the Asian aisle of many supermarkets and in Asian markets.
- Thin buckwheat noodles from Japan called soba are traditionally served cold with a soy-based dipping sauce or hot in a broth. They should be cooked in simmering, not boiling, water and then rinsed well under cold water. Look for soba in natural-foods stores, Asian markets or the Asian section of the supermarket.
- For the best flavor, toast nuts and seeds before using in a recipe. To toast small nuts, chopped nuts & seeds, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 322 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat); 44 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 692 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (122% daily value), Zinc (27% dv), Folate (24% dv), Iron & Magnesium (18% dv), Potassium & Vitamin C (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean protein, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient