Jamaican Jerk Rub
A trip to Jamaica may not be in your sights, but you can enjoy the island's best known dish—jerk chicken—with this hot and spicy rub. Habañero and Scotch bonnet chiles are extremely hot. Wash your hands thoroughly after working with them (or wear gloves) and be careful not to touch your eyes.
- 1/4 cup ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 habañero or Scotch bonnet chile peppers, seeds and membrane removed
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Toast allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and thyme in a small skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor. Add scallions, garlic, chiles, rum, orange juice, salt and pepper; blend to a smooth paste.
Per teaspoon: 11 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 42 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique