Jamaican Jerk Rub
A trip to Jamaica may not be in your sights, but you can enjoy the island's best known dish—jerk chicken—with this hot and spicy rub. Habañero and Scotch bonnet chiles are extremely hot. Wash your hands thoroughly after working with them (or wear gloves) and be careful not to touch your eyes.
- 1/4 cup ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 habañero or Scotch bonnet chile peppers, seeds and membrane removed
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Toast allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and thyme in a small skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor. Add scallions, garlic, chiles, rum, orange juice, salt and pepper; blend to a smooth paste.
Per teaspoon: 11 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 42 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- Ease of Preparation