Jamaican Jerk Rub
A trip to Jamaica may not be in your sights, but you can enjoy the island's best known dish—jerk chicken—with this hot and spicy rub. Habañero and Scotch bonnet chiles are extremely hot. Wash your hands thoroughly after working with them (or wear gloves) and be careful not to touch your eyes.
- 1/4 cup ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 habañero or Scotch bonnet chile peppers, seeds and membrane removed
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Toast allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and thyme in a small skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor. Add scallions, garlic, chiles, rum, orange juice, salt and pepper; blend to a smooth paste.
Per teaspoon: 11 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 42 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more