Jamaican Jerk Rub
A trip to Jamaica may not be in your sights, but you can enjoy the island's best known dish—jerk chicken—with this hot and spicy rub. Habañero and Scotch bonnet chiles are extremely hot. Wash your hands thoroughly after working with them (or wear gloves) and be careful not to touch your eyes.
- 1/4 cup ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 habañero or Scotch bonnet chile peppers, seeds and membrane removed
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Toast allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and thyme in a small skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor. Add scallions, garlic, chiles, rum, orange juice, salt and pepper; blend to a smooth paste.
Per teaspoon: 11 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 42 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique