Jamaican Chicken, Rice & Bean Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Molasses adds rich flavor to the dressing of this chicken, rice and bean salad.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons unsulfured molasses
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 15-ounce can adzuki beans, or black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (3 scallions)
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and diced
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1/4 cup Pickapeppa sauce
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add rice and cook over medium heat until rice is tender but still firm, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain in a sieve and rinse under cold water to separate grains. Drain well and set aside.
- Whisk together lime juice, 2 tablespoons oil, molasses, garlic and jalapeño in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add beans, scallions, red peppers, 4 tablespoons of the cilantro and the cooked rice. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the grill or preheat the broiler and broiler pan. Brush chicken with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and grill or broil, basting with Pickapeppa sauce, until the meat is no longer pink in the center, about 4 minutes per side. Let cool slightly.
- Cut the chicken in half lengthwise and cut into thin slices against the grain. Add to the rice mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Garnish with lime wedges and the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day.
Per serving: 352 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 419 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Iron (21% dv), Selenium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 1994