Jamaican Chicken, Rice & Bean Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Molasses adds rich flavor to the dressing of this chicken, rice and bean salad.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons unsulfured molasses
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 15-ounce can adzuki beans, or black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (3 scallions)
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and diced
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1/4 cup Pickapeppa sauce
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add rice and cook over medium heat until rice is tender but still firm, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain in a sieve and rinse under cold water to separate grains. Drain well and set aside.
- Whisk together lime juice, 2 tablespoons oil, molasses, garlic and jalapeño in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add beans, scallions, red peppers, 4 tablespoons of the cilantro and the cooked rice. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the grill or preheat the broiler and broiler pan. Brush chicken with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and grill or broil, basting with Pickapeppa sauce, until the meat is no longer pink in the center, about 4 minutes per side. Let cool slightly.
- Cut the chicken in half lengthwise and cut into thin slices against the grain. Add to the rice mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Garnish with lime wedges and the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day.
Per serving: 352 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 419 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Iron (21% dv), Selenium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1994