Jamaican Chicken, Rice & Bean Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Molasses adds rich flavor to the dressing of this chicken, rice and bean salad.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons unsulfured molasses
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 15-ounce can adzuki beans, or black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (3 scallions)
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and diced
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1/4 cup Pickapeppa sauce
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add rice and cook over medium heat until rice is tender but still firm, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain in a sieve and rinse under cold water to separate grains. Drain well and set aside.
- Whisk together lime juice, 2 tablespoons oil, molasses, garlic and jalapeño in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add beans, scallions, red peppers, 4 tablespoons of the cilantro and the cooked rice. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the grill or preheat the broiler and broiler pan. Brush chicken with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and grill or broil, basting with Pickapeppa sauce, until the meat is no longer pink in the center, about 4 minutes per side. Let cool slightly.
- Cut the chicken in half lengthwise and cut into thin slices against the grain. Add to the rice mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Garnish with lime wedges and the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day.
Per serving: 352 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 4 g fiber; 419 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Iron (21% dv), Selenium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1994