From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Crunchy jicama and apple plus oranges and avocado combine in this crisp and refreshing dairy-free slaw.
- 1/3 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, plus leaves for garnish
- 1-2 tablespoons minced jalapeño pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1-pound jÃcama, (see Note)
- 1 tart green apple, cored (not peeled)
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 avocados, diced
- Place 1/3 cup cilantro, 2 tablespoons mint, jalapeño to taste, sugar, salt, cumin and lime juice in a food processor. Process until finely chopped, about 30 seconds, stopping once to scrape down the sides. With the motor running, add oil through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream until the dressing is well combined. Transfer the dressing to a large bowl. Do not clean the processor, but change to the shredding disk.
- Using a small, sharp knife, carefully peel jcama, making sure to remove both the papery brown skin and the layer of fibrous flesh just underneath. Cut the jcama and apple into pieces that will fit comfortably through your processor’s feed tube. Shred the jcama and apple in the processor. Add to the bowl with the dressing.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the peel and pith from the orange. Working over the bowl with the slaw (to catch any juice), cut the orange segments from the surrounding membranes, letting them drop into the bowl. Squeeze any remaining juice into the slaw. (Discard membranes and peel.) Add avocados; gently toss to combine. Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro and mint leaves.
Tips & Notes
- Note: JÃcama is a round root vegetable with thin brown skin and white crunchy flesh. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor and can be found in the produce section from November to May.
Per serving: 288 calories; 20 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 8 g fiber; 296 mg sodium; 584 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Fiber (32% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 4 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2007