Italian Seafood Stew
The fishermen's catch of the day is transformed into a succulent seafood stew.
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 4 cloves garlic, (2 smashed, 2 minced)
- 1 pound mussels, scrubbed and debearded, or small cherrystone clams
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces squid, cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar, plus more to taste
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 pounds firm white-fleshed fish fillet, such as halibut, skinned and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring clam juice and smashed garlic to a simmer in a large pot. Add mussels (or clams) and cook, covered, until open, 3 to 5 minutes. Discard garlic; remove mussels from the pot, discarding any that did not open. Using a fine-mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth, strain broth into a bowl; set aside. Wipe out the pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pot and heat over medium-low heat. Add onion and minced garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Increase heat to high; add squid and cook, stirring, until the squid turns opaque, about 1 minute. Add wine and 1/3 cup vinegar; cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced by half, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and the reserved mussel broth. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the squid is tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, add fish and shrimp to the simmering stew and cook, covered, just until the fish is opaque in the center, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the reserved mussels and heat through, about 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, remove solids to a bowl and cover to keep warm. Stir 3 tablespoons parsley, breadcrumbs and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil into the sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens to the consistency of heavy cream, 1 to 2 minutes. Adjust seasoning with pepper and vinegar. Return the solids to the sauce. Serve immediately, garnished with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate mussels and stew separately for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 280 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 166 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 46 g protein; 1 g fiber; 423 mg sodium; 876 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (118% daily value), Magnesium (31% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 5 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)