Italian Peasant Soup with Cabbage, Beans & Cheese
A well-stocked pantry is a good starting point for making a hearty homemade soup like this one. Just add some fresh vegetables, bread and cheese and you've got dinner (and tomorrow's lunch).
- 2 19-ounce or 15-1/2-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 4 cups shredded Savoy cabbage, (1/2 medium head)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, plus 1 clove garlic, halved
- 3 14-1/2-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or 5 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices day-old whole-wheat country bread
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese, or 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Mash 1 1/2 cups beans with a fork.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or soup pot. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cabbage and minced garlic; cook, stirring often, until the cabbage has wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, mashed beans and whole beans; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer until the cabbage is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Shortly before the soup is ready, toast bread lightly and rub with the cut side of the garlic clove (lightly or heavily depending on taste). Divide toast among 8 soup plates. Ladle soup over the toast and sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle about 1 teaspoon oil over each serving. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop.
Per serving: 305 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 10 g fiber; 868 mg sodium; 610 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (26% daily value), Vitamin C (22% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient