Italian Peasant Soup with Cabbage, Beans & Cheese
A well-stocked pantry is a good starting point for making a hearty homemade soup like this one. Just add some fresh vegetables, bread and cheese and you've got dinner (and tomorrow's lunch).
- 2 19-ounce or 15-1/2-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 4 cups shredded Savoy cabbage, (1/2 medium head)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, plus 1 clove garlic, halved
- 3 14-1/2-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or 5 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices day-old whole-wheat country bread
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese, or 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Mash 1 1/2 cups beans with a fork.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or soup pot. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cabbage and minced garlic; cook, stirring often, until the cabbage has wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, mashed beans and whole beans; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer until the cabbage is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Shortly before the soup is ready, toast bread lightly and rub with the cut side of the garlic clove (lightly or heavily depending on taste). Divide toast among 8 soup plates. Ladle soup over the toast and sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle about 1 teaspoon oil over each serving. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop.
Per serving: 305 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 10 g fiber; 868 mg sodium; 610 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (26% daily value), Vitamin C (22% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish