Italian Peasant Soup with Cabbage, Beans & Cheese
A well-stocked pantry is a good starting point for making a hearty homemade soup like this one. Just add some fresh vegetables, bread and cheese and you've got dinner (and tomorrow's lunch).
- 2 19-ounce or 15-1/2-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 4 cups shredded Savoy cabbage, (1/2 medium head)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, plus 1 clove garlic, halved
- 3 14-1/2-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or 5 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices day-old whole-wheat country bread
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese, or 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Mash 1 1/2 cups beans with a fork.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or soup pot. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cabbage and minced garlic; cook, stirring often, until the cabbage has wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, mashed beans and whole beans; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer until the cabbage is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Shortly before the soup is ready, toast bread lightly and rub with the cut side of the garlic clove (lightly or heavily depending on taste). Divide toast among 8 soup plates. Ladle soup over the toast and sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle about 1 teaspoon oil over each serving. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop.
Per serving: 305 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 10 g fiber; 868 mg sodium; 610 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (26% daily value), Vitamin C (22% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish