Italian Egg-Drop Soup
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
Italian egg-drop soup, Stracciatella, is traditionally a light soup made with just chicken broth, eggs and herbs. We added pasta, chickpeas and arugula to turn it into a meal. Serve with: Garlic bread and Caesar salad.
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups whole-wheat medium pasta shells or other small pasta (4 ounces)
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, whites and greens divided
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cups chopped arugula, any tough stems removed
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine broth, water, pasta, chickpeas, scallion whites and nutmeg in a Dutch oven; cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and boil for half as long as directed by the pasta package, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in arugula and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low. While stirring the soup constantly, slowly add eggs; cook for 2 minutes. (The cooked egg will look like feathery strands.) Season with pepper and stir in the scallion greens and lemon juice. Ladle into 6 bowls and top with Parmesan.
Per serving: 196 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 145 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 740 mg sodium; 461 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2010