Italian Egg-Drop Soup
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
Italian egg-drop soup, Stracciatella, is traditionally a light soup made with just chicken broth, eggs and herbs. We added pasta, chickpeas and arugula to turn it into a meal. Serve with: Garlic bread and Caesar salad.
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups whole-wheat medium pasta shells or other small pasta (4 ounces)
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, whites and greens divided
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cups chopped arugula, any tough stems removed
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine broth, water, pasta, chickpeas, scallion whites and nutmeg in a Dutch oven; cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and boil for half as long as directed by the pasta package, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in arugula and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low. While stirring the soup constantly, slowly add eggs; cook for 2 minutes. (The cooked egg will look like feathery strands.) Season with pepper and stir in the scallion greens and lemon juice. Ladle into 6 bowls and top with Parmesan.
Per serving: 196 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 145 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 740 mg sodium; 461 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2010