Italian Egg-Drop Soup
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
Italian egg-drop soup, Stracciatella, is traditionally a light soup made with just chicken broth, eggs and herbs. We added pasta, chickpeas and arugula to turn it into a meal. Serve with: Garlic bread and Caesar salad.
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups whole-wheat medium pasta shells or other small pasta (4 ounces)
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, whites and greens divided
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cups chopped arugula, any tough stems removed
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine broth, water, pasta, chickpeas, scallion whites and nutmeg in a Dutch oven; cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and boil for half as long as directed by the pasta package, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in arugula and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low. While stirring the soup constantly, slowly add eggs; cook for 2 minutes. (The cooked egg will look like feathery strands.) Season with pepper and stir in the scallion greens and lemon juice. Ladle into 6 bowls and top with Parmesan.
Per serving: 196 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 145 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 740 mg sodium; 461 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2010